Race Holland / Sweden

Allt som rör MX-5 Club i allmänhet.
MaX5racer

Race Holland / Sweden

Post by MaX5racer »

Hi guys,

I am one of the dutch guys that races in the MX5 cup in Holland. Earlier this week our agenda for 2009 was sent to your Mr. Leijonhufvud and we received a nice e-mail back from him.

Maybe in this forum we can explain to each other what we are doing in MX5 racing and how we do it.

I will start.

Our dutch race serie has started full season last year. We run 99% the same regulations as Ma5daracing in the UK.
A lot of UK drivers have supported our startup year 2008 with joining our races.

In 2008 we had 3 official dutch cars, for 2009 we will have 6. Of course we would like to have more, but we enjoy the racing and expect by next year we will be up to 10 to 15 cars.

Our regulation therefore only allow NA 1.6 from 1989 up to 1993.

Your Mr. Leijonhufvud asked what would be a good date for you to join our races and what we necessary to be allowed to race.

Although our series is NA 1.6 only we have no problem to fit you into our serie for one or more races. What you need to have is a racecar with a proper rollcage (we prefer welded, but bolted is also OK), FIA approved seat and belt (6 point) and FIA approved clothing. You also need a small handheld fire extinguisher in the car.
To level out the difference between NA 1.8 and NB 1.8 it would be good if you run the same tyres as we do. Hankook RS2 in 195/50/15 or Hankook K110 V12 EVO in 195/50/15.

You are all welcome during all our races of this season, but we would definately suggest our EU Cup final at Zandvoort on 17 & 18 October. We are planning to have a big season final together with the English Ma5da racing which would mean about 30 MX5's on track!

I have attached the 2009 calender with our dates and your dates.

Shoot all the question you have and I will try to answer them.

Looking forward to meet with you.

Rudy
Attachments
MX5 NL Race Calender 2009.xls
(39.5 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Niklas Falk
Medlem MX-5 Racing Club

Re: Race Holland / Sweden

Post by Niklas Falk »

Hi Rudy,

Nice with some opportunities for international interaction :)

Using tires to level stuff out even if a guest would race outside the points is a very good idea, it's more fun for everyone.
Personally my plans are already made for 09 but to know there is an opportunity to bring my car back to the tracks where it was born in 2000 sound like something that would be stupid to miss (10 year anniversary at Spa, hmm). :up:

If any of you have a reason to visit us we will probably display the best racing we can at the SportsCar Meeting at 3-5 July at Ring Knutstorp (200+ entries and we are part of the Roadsport class (road legal, loosley :))). Inviting your class and racing together would mean pulling some strings, but not at all impossible, I think.
Måns Wilke

Post by Måns Wilke »

Hi. I see that You have a free practice at Spa July 15-16. Is rollcage and FIA approved belts required there too (at free practice)?
Since I´m at Spa for a track day July 13-14, it would be great to put two more days to that trip and meet some dutch Miata friends.
AEM CAI, I.L 4-1 Header, Larini avgas, RX8 krängare, Eibachfjädrar, 7x16" Ultraleggera, R888 215/50 R16, Sparco Corsa, Sparco P353
1.11.7 på Knutstorp
MaX5racer

Post by MaX5racer »

Måns Wilke wrote:Hi. I see that You have a free practice at Spa July 15-16. Is rollcage and FIA approved belts required there too (at free practice)?
Since I´m at Spa for a track day July 13-14, it would be great to put two more days to that trip and meet some dutch Miata friends.
Yes, rollcage and FIA approved belts, seat, etc will be required 15-16 July. It's a racecars only event so your car should be race legal :D
Måns Wilke

Post by Måns Wilke »

OK, thanks.
AEM CAI, I.L 4-1 Header, Larini avgas, RX8 krängare, Eibachfjädrar, 7x16" Ultraleggera, R888 215/50 R16, Sparco Corsa, Sparco P353
1.11.7 på Knutstorp
Josen

Post by Josen »

Hello

Sounds nice
To level out the difference between NA 1.8 and NB 1.8 it would be good if you run the same tyres as we do. Hankook RS2 in 195/50/15 or Hankook K110 V12 EVO in 195/50/15.
So I can I race with 1.8 -96 ?

Some questions for participate in one of your club-events/sprints

- What is the charge to participate?
- Do you need some kind of certification for the car ?
- Is roll-bar with Hardtop OK (approved racing car in Sweden) ?
- Can you help with tyres – possible to purchase via your contact?
- How does the schedule looks for a club-event (practice ? heats ? )

/Joachim
Joachim Osbeck - Roadsport B Lotus Elise S2 111 -> SPVM 2011 1:a, 2012 - 2:a, 2013 - 1:a
"If you can't go fast on 90hp, 900 won't help you"
- Bob Hall, Product Planner of the original Mazda Miata design team
MaX5racer

Post by MaX5racer »

Hi Joachim,

Here is the reply to your questions.

So I can I race with 1.8 -96 ? YES, not for the official championship but you can participate during our race events if your car complies to the minimum safety rules.

Some questions for participate in one of your club-events/sprints

- What is the charge to participate? +/- EUR.200 for sprint races, +/- EUR. 400 for sprint + endurance
- Do you need some kind of certification for the car ? No
- Is roll-bar with Hardtop OK (approved racing car in Sweden) ? Depends on the rollbar, you will need a proper rollcage. Not just one bar behind the seats. Send me some pictures of your cars interior without the hardtop on and I can tell you whether it will be ok
- Can you help with tyres – possible to purchase via your contact? Ofcourse, no problem
- How does the schedule looks for a club-event (practice ? heats ? ) On a race day you will be on the track 4 times at least. 1x Free practise of 30 min, 1x Qualifying of 20 to 30 min., 2x Sprint race of 12 laps or 30 min. If we also do Endurance you need to add 1x Endurance of 70 up to 120 min.
Josen

Post by Josen »

Thanks Rudy

A picture of the car - I guess that I need to add some bars ?

So does 1.6 cars run on 205 and 1.8 on 195 to even it out ?
Joachim Osbeck - Roadsport B Lotus Elise S2 111 -> SPVM 2011 1:a, 2012 - 2:a, 2013 - 1:a
MaX5racer

Post by MaX5racer »

Josen wrote:Thanks Rudy

A picture of the car - I guess that I need to add some bars ?

So does 1.6 cars run on 205 and 1.8 on 195 to even it out ?
Yes, you need more bars.
Bar towards A pillar and to the ground
door bars
a cross bar left front a pillar to right back b pillar
a cross bar top left b pillar to right bottom in trunk

No, 1.6 and 1.8 run 195, but on street tyres the differences will be smaller.

Rudy
Niklas Falk
Medlem MX-5 Racing Club

Post by Niklas Falk »

Just some questions for more clarifications:
With "FIA approved Clothing", Does that include a HANS device (we are not required to use it at our level, yet)?
What level are you races held at (regional, national, international)?
This affects what License level we need to acquire (some of us are cheap and still run as debutants...).

It sure sounds tempting to end the season at Zandvoort, when (approx) is the application due (not promising anything :))?
MaX5racer

Post by MaX5racer »

Hi Niklas,

Here are the answers.

With "FIA approved Clothing", Does that include a HANS device (we are not required to use it at our level, yet)?
HANS is not required. You need a FIA approved race suit, balaclavas, underwear, gloves, shoes and helmet
What level are you races held at (regional, national, international)?
national, to confirm your license is ok for racing in Holland you can send me a scanned copy.
This affects what License level we need to acquire (some of us are cheap and still run as debutants...).

It sure sounds tempting to end the season at Zandvoort, when (approx) is the application due (not promising anything )?
We will first do a pre registration. We can only organise such a big season final if we have enough cars (30+). Of course most cars will have to come from the UK, but swedish participants will make it a real international event. Pre registration will be opened in March / April, I think. Hope you can make it.
Niklas Falk
Medlem MX-5 Racing Club

Post by Niklas Falk »

A reasonable overview of the Zandvoort Circuit. I was unable to get the google pin at the paddock area though :think2:

Its not that far away, from Stockholm it's less than three times the distance to Knutstorp... (and from Malmö it's not much longer than to our own tracks :))
Josen

Post by Josen »

I agree. I would be huge fun to drive at Zandvoort - not that far away either :) For this year I wont have the time to update my roll-bar to fit :( ,perhpas next year.
Niklas you should go ahead and represent the Swedish MX-5 drivers :) Your roll-cage should be perfekt !
Niklas Falk
Medlem MX-5 Racing Club

Post by Niklas Falk »

Josen wrote:Niklas you should go ahead and represent the Swedish MX-5 drivers :) Your roll-cage should be perfekt !
I know... Hmm, borrow car and trailer for the benefit of being support team... :)

Even if you don't race at the event it sounds like something worth visiting (to get inspiration and ideas for the 2010 season).
MaX5racer

Post by MaX5racer »

Niklas, your rollcage should indeed be ok. We have one driver that has used a Belgian NB cage in his NA.

To see what Zandvoort is like in an MX5 you can watch these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6asIX8TD8r8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svqKtnM80I
Josen

Post by Josen »

Rudy what do you think about Zandvoort ?
- Difficult/demadning ?
- Looks like a high speed track ?
- Any parts that are tricky ?
- Fun parts ?

Compared to a Swedish MX5/Roadsport race - whats your impressions ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd-kGiZvX7U

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qdieUw_tNYc

/Joachim
MaX5racer

Post by MaX5racer »

Hi Joachim,

Rudy what do you think about Zandvoort ?
- Difficult/demadning ?
technical, but not difficult
- Looks like a high speed track ? yes reasonably high speed, 2 slow corners
- Any parts that are tricky ? yes, when the track is wet
- Fun parts ? Whole track!, but especially first corner (Tarzan turn), fifth corner (Scheivlak, my favorite) and second to last corner (Audi-S)

Compared to a Swedish MX5/Roadsport race - whats your impressions ? Very comparable, what tyres do you run?
Niklas Falk
Medlem MX-5 Racing Club

Post by Niklas Falk »

MaX5racer wrote:Compared to a Swedish MX5/Roadsport race - whats your impressions ? Very comparable, what tyres do you run?
Mostly 205/50-15 Toyo R888, Yokohama A048, Kumho V70A. So our corner speeds should be a bit higher.

Using your tires I know that at least my setup would have problems keeping the tires cool enough to work.

Btw, what type och cat are you required to have, FIA or Mazda "equivalent"?
It sucks to get stuck in tech for things that you could have asked about a long time ago :)

Could a fixed extinguisher system replace the need for a handheld?
MaX5racer

Post by MaX5racer »

Using your tires I know that at least my setup would have problems keeping the tires cool enough to work.On colder days we have an advantage with high performance street tyres, on warm days our tyres make us slower during the afternoon, but it is the same for everybody. We use these tyres to keep the cost low.

Btw, what type och cat are you required to have, FIA or Mazda "equivalent"? not sure what you mean by "och cat". Do you mean a tow hook?
It sucks to get stuck in tech for things that you could have asked about a long time ago

Could a fixed extinguisher system replace the need for a handheld? yes, fixed system is better but not necessary.
Niklas Falk
Medlem MX-5 Racing Club

Post by Niklas Falk »

MaX5racer wrote:Btw, what type och cat are you required to have, FIA or Mazda "equivalent"? not sure what you mean by "och cat". Do you mean a tow hook?
Sorry a major typo :oops: . What type of catalyst (metallic 100 cells with FIA certification or any generic one)?

The tow hooks I suspect should be 80mm (FIA) or is there some national smaller dimension?
MaX5racer

Post by MaX5racer »

Sorry a major typo . What type of catalyst (metallic 100 cells with FIA certification or any generic one)?
Catalyst is free, you can also run without. Only restriction is on noise level.

The tow hooks I suspect should be 80mm (FIA) or is there some national smaller dimension? We have 100mm, but 80mm should be ok
Niklas Falk
Medlem MX-5 Racing Club

Post by Niklas Falk »

MaX5racer wrote:Sorry a major typo . What type of catalyst (metallic 100 cells with FIA certification or any generic one)?
Catalyst is free, you can also run without. Only restriction is on noise level.
Ah, another one :), Zandvoort is 92dB if I remember the comments from a Formula Renault team?
But we rarely reach our 95dB limits, but its good to know.

Thanks for answering all these small (but somewhat vital) questions. :up:
Josen

Post by Josen »

But we rarely reach our 95dB limits, but its good to know.
Yes we do :twisted:
Niklas Falk
Medlem MX-5 Racing Club

Post by Niklas Falk »

An attempt to describe the exempts from the FIA App J art 253 that we can use when running under the Roadsport rulings.

The word document might get updated since this is the first draft.
Attachments
Swedish Roadsport Exempts.doc
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
MaX5racer

Post by MaX5racer »

Hi Niklas,

Thanks for the write up.

We are meeting with your Carl-Gustav coming thursday in Amsterdam and will discuss what is needed for you guys to be able to participate in our races.

As a response to your article please be informed that the current FIA rules are not the ones we have to comply with. We need to comply with older regulations which means you can run a complete 40x2 rollcage in St 37 (S235) steel as a minimum. Also the rollcage does not need to be FIA certified.

I will now show you some pictures of my new rollcage, but keep in mind that this is far more than the minimum that is required.

My rollcage is 40x2mm, but in Chrome Molybdenum which means it is stronger.

This car as you see it here weighs 838.5kg and will need about 40kg extra to reach the minimum of 960kg incl. driver. (Now you now my weight as well :D )