Race Holland / Sweden

Allt som rör MX-5 Club i allmänhet.
Niklas Falk
Medlem MX-5 Racing Club

Re: Race Holland / Sweden

Post by Niklas Falk »

MaX5racer wrote:As a response to your article please be informed that the current FIA rules are not the ones we have to comply with. We need to comply with older regulations which means you can run a complete 40x2 rollcage in St 37 (S235) steel as a minimum. Also the rollcage does not need to be FIA certified
Nice to know that there always are some differences to the general FIA (on national/club level). "FIA" is not always FIA
MaX5racer wrote:My rollcage is 40x2mm, but in Chrome Molybdenum which means it is stronger.

This car as you see it here weighs 838.5kg and will need about 40kg extra to reach the minimum of 960kg incl. driver. (Now you now my weight as well :D )
Now you'll get a number of question how to reach that weight... :)
Do you still use steel skins on the rear and doors (no GF/CF)?
I see that the passanger door have been completly gutted :)

40x2 CroMo with a large number of tubes, hmm, where have I've seen that spec before :D
MaX5racer

Post by MaX5racer »

Hi Niklas,

How I reached that weight is not so difficult. Just strip out all that can be missed :D
But to give you an idea, here is a list from front to the back of the car:

- Hard plastic bumper internal removed
- Headlamps, motors and steel removed
- If you have it, powersteering, abs and airco removed
- Heating unit, radio and all other accessories behind the dashboard removed
- All interior parts removed
- Inside steel of doors removed
- Doorbars removed
- Softtop and frame removed
- Seatbelt towers removed
- Interior of the boot removed
- Inside steel of bootlid removed
- Wiring harness front dashboard to the back stripped to minimum

There is even more weight that can be saved, but that's mostly a lot of work.
Things like stripping down the complete wiring harness should save 3 to 5 kg. Removing the under coating of the car should save another 2 kg.
Another easy one for me would be a lightweight battery, but due to my current weight distribution and total weight I don't see the need, but that could save another 5 kg.

The righthand side door has been cut a little bit to much, normally we leave the top part, but I didn't do that one myself. It's fine as it is and will get the original top part of the door cover on it to protect arms.
CG Leijonhufvud

Post by CG Leijonhufvud »

Fine, noticed that discussion is running, hope for the best in October. Anyway, we try to arrange a couple of race guys that will “participate”, at least as spectators (include my selves…)
If everything runs as planned we will se at least two Swedes run the show alone…!.

Looking forward to meet you guys, we keep in touch during Thursday /Wednesday to settle meeting points, You know on which hotel I’m staying…
CG Leijonhufvud
Niklas Falk
Medlem MX-5 Racing Club

Post by Niklas Falk »

CG Leijonhufvud wrote:If everything runs as planned we will se at least two Swedes run the show alone…!.
Eh, new to the track and on tires that have a lot less grip than our chassis are setup for (at least mine)...

We will not be running "the show alone", we can hopefully add to the field and not interfere too much with the championship. :)
We already know that setup and driver skill can outbalance the difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 (especially of you add about 100kg to the 1.8 and put the better drivers in the 1.6s :)).
But if I (and Per) leave the Kamikaze-braking at home we will probably have pretty nice weekend.
Whatever the outcome will be, we will all learn a lot.

So lets hope that the season runs well and there are some cars available to participate in October.